Thursday, August 2, 2012

2012 August Full Moon


8 ~ 02 ~ 2012

August gives us two full moons and the Perseid meteor shower, plus a tight grouping of two planets and a star in the evening sky. What more could we ask?


earthsky.org
Today, August 2, 2012 hosts a full moon, the first of two to take place this month. The next full moon takes place on August 31, 2012, which is called a blue moon. About every 2-3 years two full moons will land in a single Gregorian calendar month. If you do research on lunar moon cycles you will observe that this month the Blue Moon falls on August 31. The two previous times that the Blue Moon has taken place on the 31st in the month of an August came in 1947 and in 1966. Those years were filled with events leading to major changes in Israel....... are you gazing upward .…………I am..........
“During the silent hour, a man receives new inspiration which may change his life"

google Moon 8-1-2012
I could always be found out under the night SKY of my adopted and beloved state Alaska lying flat on my back at the edge of Jewel Lake Star Gazing and dreaming dreams of the heavens. For there was no place on earth that I have ever felt closer to the Universe than under the skies of Alaska. You felt as though the stars could actually be plucked from the darkness which brought cause to embrace imaginations just as high.
In the 1960's our Newly constructed High School was home of the States Observatory that birthed my fascination in star gazing and introduced me to the technology.  There was nothing digital about our experience back then; it was Up Close and Personal sitting in THE Seat beneath a huge lense that magnified an unending Universe of possibilities. Only a few students my age in the whole of the United States had access to such 'a machine'!
Later after my families departure to our southern roots on the Gulf Coast, I learned that the Observatory was moved to the UAA, the State's University.


I still star gaze; I still dream dreams...........
August 31 is a blue moon......
See you then.......
Uniquely Yours & Like no other

4 comments:

  1. How interesting! I'll be sure to take a look at the sky tonight. :) I'm in Washington state, and I know that in this part of the country there's usually a pretty intense meteor shower in August.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy, I love your part of the country! It is so very connected to the sky! But in stating that, I must also write that it is my Southern roots that ground me or I would have surely flown away into the Galaxy. How thrilling to discover you too are in to Art Glass! Adore Galle' Art Nouveau. Thank you so much for sharing; please join me so we can stay connected.

      Delete
    2. Love this post! I spent many hours laying on my back looking up at the sky when I was a child on the farm. Thank you for bringing those memories back for me.

      Your work is very beautiful; I enjoyed seeing it.
      I hope you will check out my blog too.

      Delete
    3. Hello Marsha Found you!
      http://artphotosandpaintings.com

      Delete