Sunday, June 3, 2012

Vacation in My Hammock on the Gulf Coast


My Crinum lily is huge!
I hang-out here in my hammock to vegetate awaiting inspiration..............inhaling the intoxicating fragrance which the large outfacing flowers possess. The 3.5' tall sturdy stalks are topped, starting in mid-May thru June here in the south.
This crinum was already in the yard when we purchased the 1930's updated cottage. The bulbs are similar in growth as a clove of garlic; only these bulbs have been known to grow as large as an old TV set. This lily grows on the north side of my studio against the tool shed.


This crinum resembles the Marisco Hardy Crinum Lily; the ones discovered by the late plant explorer, Thad Howard in Veracruz, Mexico. I read he found his plant growing in a naturalized population of the East African.


He named it 'Marisco' (which means "seafood") to commemorate the region's seafood industry. Very appropriate indeed; The Gulf Coast too is known as a region rich in the seafood industry. 
The clump is adorned sporadically with tall stalks of large fragrant white flowers with each petal highlighted by a central burgundy stripe. Moist soils will produce the best flowering.

1 comment:

  1. This is so interesting .I love these beautiful flowers.Love our Mississippi....

    ReplyDelete